An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, inspiring and capable person to join our small, talented team at YMCA West Kent. In this vital role, you will help deliver the aims and outcomes of this project.
Purpose of post:
• Support students, aged 14 to 25 with Special Educational Needs (SEN).
• Work with colleagues to respond specifically to the needs of these students both in the carpentry workshop and with their personal and social development enabling their inclusion in all activities.
• Employed by West Kent YMCA.
• Accountable for the health and well-being of these trainees in conjunction with keyworker and tutors.
• Supervision will be provided by the Project Manager.
• Work with SEN students to understand their needs and respond appropriately.
• Help to ensure their work and portfolios comply with City & Guilds and NPTC standards.
• With colleagues, assist the students with their personal and social development including formalising some aspects through the LASER qualification and Duke of Edinburgh Award.
• Oversee their work experience activities.
• Act as a positive role model.
• Provide reports as necessary to the Project Manager.
• Carry out any other tasks, commensurate with the purposes of the post, on the direction of the Project Manager, or Head of Operations.
• Learning support experience of working with young people who have challenging behaviour
· Knowledge and experience of working with young people who have learning needs and/or traumatic backgrounds, or be willing to learn
· Reliable with a flexible and patient attitude
· Driver and access to own car
· To be a Christian or supportive of the Christian ethos of West Kent YMCA
• Knowledge of issues affecting young people e.g. substance misuse, family breakdown, homelessness, mental health, learning or physical disabilities, school exclusion
• Health & Safety knowledge
• Experience of working in a caring supporting environment with young people
• Experience of vocational training - construction/carpentry
· Experience of youth work, social work, support work, teaching or similar in a paid or voluntary role
· Minibus driver
Post subject to an enhanced Disclosure and written references
To request a full an Application Pack please contact – HR on 01892 542209 or email firstname.lastname@example.org