An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, inspiring, capable person to join our small, talented team at YMCA West Kent’s HORIZON Project in our purpose-built, specially equipped construction workshop in North Tonbridge.
In this vital role, you will help deliver the training, educational, personal, social and pastoral outcomes of this project.
Purpose of post:
• Support students, aged 14 to 25 with a variety of Special Educational Needs (SEN).
• Work with colleagues to respond to the needs of trainees both in the carpentry workshop and with their personal and social development enabling their inclusion in all activities and development.
• Employed by YMCA West Kent.
• Accountable for the health and well-being of trainees in conjunction with Manager and tutors.
• Supervision will be provided by the Education & SEN Manager.
• Work with each trainee to understand their needs and respond appropriately.
• Help to ensure their work and portfolios comply with City & Guilds and NPTC standards.
• With colleagues, assist trainees with personal & social development (PSD) including formalising some aspects through the qualifications and Duke of Edinburgh Awards.
• Oversee work experience activities - such as customer service, building bikes, upcycling furniture or community projects.
• Act as a positive role model.
• Provide reports as necessary to the Manager.
• Carry out any other tasks, commensurate with the purposes of the post, on the direction of the Manager, or Head of Operations.
• Learning support experience of working with young people who have challenging behaviour
· Knowledge and experience of working with young people who have learning needs and/or traumatic backgrounds, or be willing to learn to be trauma informed
· Reliable with a flexible, patient, compassionate attitude
· Driver and access to own car is an advantage but not essential
· To be a Christian or supportive of the Christian ethos of YMCA West Kent
• Knowledge of issues affecting young people e.g. substance misuse, family breakdown, homelessness, mental health, learning or physical disabilities, school exclusion, ACEs (see www.WestKentYMCA.org.uk/aces )
• Health & Safety knowledge, including risk assessments, first aid trained or mental health first aid trained
• Experience of working in a caring supporting environment with young people who need a support plan or an EHCP
• Experience of vocational training or construction/carpentry
· Experience of youth work, social work, support work, teaching or similar in a paid or voluntary role, or Duke of Edinburgh Awards (as a participant or leader)
· Minibus driver (MIDAS trained & qualified) or willing to be trained
Post subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and confidential written references
To request a full Application Pack please contact – Sasha (part time HR) on 01892 542209 (leave a clear voicemail with your contact details) or email us on HR@WestKentYMCA.org.uk