An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, inspiring and capable person to join our small, talented team at YMCA West Kent. In this vital role, you will help deliver the aims and outcomes of this project.
Purpose of Post
- To teach and deliver City & Guilds Construction Skills in Carpentry & Joinery.
- To be a positive role model for trainees aged 16+ who may have learning difficulties and / or difficult backgrounds.
- Mentor and provide guidance and advice.
- Liaise with colleagues and other agencies to ensure trainees develop to their full potential.
- The worker will be employed by West Kent YMCA.
- Supervision will be provided by the Project Manager.
- Responsibilities will be overseen by the Lead Tutor.
- Deliver with the team the highest standard of City & Guilds Level 1 Construction and Duke of Edinburgh qualifications.
- Plan, delegate and deliver a robust, engaging and fun curriculum (City & Guilds Level 1 Construction, Multi-skills, Health and Safety, Duke of Edinburgh) that meets the individual needs of each young person ensuring their personal and social development needs are addressed at all times.
- Mentor, support and strengthen all teaching in the centres, highlighting any training needs to the Project Manager.
- Assist the Project Manager in ensuring qualification evidence and portfolios are of the highest standard.
- Carry out tutoring observation producing written records and give feedback to staff and students.
- Ensure compliance of paperwork and portfolio requirements for external verifiers.
- Consult with, and respond appropriately to trainees’ needs, assisting with personal development and working closely with colleagues and other agencies to ensure the maximum development and progress of the trainees.
- Provide support, advice and information to other projects.
- Carry out any other tasks, commensurate with the purposes of the post, on the direction of the Project Manager or Chief Executive.
- Construction qualifications and experience.
- Experience of delivering and assessing City & Guilds Basic Construction Skills Level 1 in Multi-Skills (or equivalent). Leadership, planning and delegation skills.
- Demonstrable training skills as a trainer, tutor, mentor or teacher.
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team.
- Knowledge and experience of Health and Safety in a construction environment.
- Proven experience and skills as a "self-starter", reliable with a flexible and patient attitude.
- To be a Christian or to be supportive of the Christian ethos of West Kent YMCA.
- Knowledge and experience of working with young people and challenging behaviour and their issues e.g. substance misuse, family breakdown, homelessness, mental health, traumatic backgrounds, learning or physical disabilities [SEND], school exclusion.
Post is subject to enhanced DBS, youth panel and written references
To request a full Job Description and send in your CV, please contact – Sasha Erander on 01892 542209 or email email@example.com