Job opportunity – Tutor(s) in Construction - Education & Training Project
Full Time Permanent role
Based in Tunbridge Wells
£21,000 - £25,000 [+ pension + health]
An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, inspiring and capable person(s) to join our small, talented team at YMCA West Kent. In this vital role, you will help deliver the aims and outcomes of this project.
Purpose of Post
• Assist the Project Manager ensuring the project ethos and pastoral support is consistent in both centres and that all qualification portfolios are of the highest standard.
• Support and strengthen teaching and mentoring in both centres. Be a positive role model for trainees. Mentor and provide guidance and advice.
• Liaise with colleagues and other agencies to ensure trainees develop to their full potential.
• The worker will be employed by West Kent YMCA.
• Supervision will be provided by the Project Manager.
• Tutors and mentors in the highest standard of City & Guilds Level 1 Construction and Duke of Edinburgh qualifications
• Deliver with the team the highest standard of City & Guilds Level 1 Construction and Duke of Edinburgh qualifications.
• Plan, delegate and deliver a robust, engaging and fun curriculum (City & Guilds Level 1 Construction, Multi-skills, Health and Safety, Duke of Edinburgh) that meets the individual needs of each young person ensuring their personal and social development needs are addressed at all times.
• Mentor, support and strengthen all teaching in the centres, highlighting any training needs to the Project Manager.
• Assist the Project Manager in ensuring qualification evidence and portfolios are of the highest standard.
• Carry out tutoring observation and IV portfolios producing written records and feedback to staff.
• Ensure compliance of paperwork and portfolio requirements for external verifiers.
• Consult with, and respond appropriately to trainees’ needs, assisting with personal development and working closely with colleagues and other agencies to ensure the maximum development and progress of the trainees.
• Provide support, advice and information to other projects.
• Carry out any other tasks, commensurate with the purposes of the post, on the direction of the Project Manager or Head of Operations.
• Must have previous experience of a tutor role.
• Plumbing qualifications and experience.
• Experience of delivering and assessing City & Guilds Basic Construction Skills Level 1 in Multi-Skills (or equivalent). Holder of or be working towards NVQ assessor grades D33/34 or A1 and V1, TAQA.
• Leadership, planning and delegation skills.
• Demonstrable training skills as a trainer, tutor, mentor or teacher.
• Ability to work alone and as part of a team.
• Knowledge and experience of Health and Safety in a construction environment.
• Proven experience and skills as a "self-starter", reliable with a flexible and patient attitude.
• To be a Christian or to be supportive of the Christian ethos of West Kent YMCA.
• Knowledge and experience of working with young people and challenging behaviour and their issues e.g. substance misuse, family breakdown, homelessness, mental health, traumatic backgrounds, learning or physical disabilities [SEND], school exclusion.
Post is subject to enhanced DBS, and written references
To request a full Job Description and Application Pack please contact – Karen Warner on 01892 542209 or email firstname.lastname@example.org