Job opportunity Youth Work - Deputy Manager
Part-time 15 hours (over 3-4 days per week) afternoons and evenings
Permanent role, £7,800 pa gross [+ pension + health]
Based in Tonbridge & Malling, Tunbridge Wells and West Kent Area
An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, inspiring, capable, Deputy Manager to join our small, talented Youth Work team at YMCA West Kent. In this vital role, you will help deliver the aims and outcomes of this project, engage with local communities to identify need and support, help build bridges with young people and their communities and make referrals to other projects within YMCA and other agencies as appropriate.
Job Purpose is to
- work with and support the Project Manager to deliver the aims and outcomes of the Project
- support local communities and young people to identify local needs and issues
- engage local communities and young people to address local needs and issues
- work across Tonbridge & Malling and Tunbridge Wells, West Kent including various school holidays, evenings and weekend work when required
- work alongside other voluntary and statutory agencies in both centre and detached sessions to deliver information, advice and guidance to support young people
- work with young people from the project and other YMCA projects to design and deliver local projects for the benefit of their communities
- help build bridges between young people, their communities and local agencies
- make referrals to other YMCA projects and other agencies as appropriate to meet a young person’s identified needs
- promote the project and wider YMCA and network with other agencies and community groups
- ensure all safeguarding, health & safety and other duty of care are met; including completion of risk assessments, administering first aid including mental health first aid and pastoral support
- have the ability to work in a school environment, delivering health & wellbeing programmes to a variety of young people of different ages.
Minibus driver training will be provided, however a clean driving licence and 2 years driving experience is required.
Post is subject to confidential self-disclosure, enhanced DBS, references, youth panel and induction.
- Driver due to areas covered by the project
- to be a Christian or to be supportive of the Christian ethos of the YMCA
- experience of working with challenging young people
- current knowledge of some of the issues affecting young people eg. Substance misuse, family breakdown, homelessness, mental health, and learning or physical disabilities
- ability to work with and support young people with challenging behaviour
- demonstrable ability and skills to support, mentor and develop young people
- knowledge and experience of safeguarding – protection from abuse procedures
- experience of using monitoring and evaluation systems
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- reliable with a flexible and patient attitude – calm in a crisis
- flexible approach to working hours and occasional travel out of County
- ability to work alone or as part of a team
- good listener, gifted communicator who can empower young people
- willing to engage in further training/learning and group/individual supervision
- able to set and maintain clear professional boundaries within a small team
- excellent role model for young people
- willing to work outside in all weathers
- knowledge of training methods and provision
- confident vehicle driver and minibus driver as specified above
- experience of working with and supporting volunteers
- excellent administrative and computing/IT skills
- transferable experience and skills in related fields such as: community development, social inclusion, consultation, youth empowerment, trauma informed practice, counselling skills, housing support, vocational training, pastoral support; equality, diversity & inclusion; mentoring, coaching, learning support, SEN support, social enterprise, event management, team management, sports, careers guidance, outdoor pursuits, Duke of Edinburgh awards, programmes such as princes trust, NCS, ICS or similar
Links to our website
JOB ADVERTS www.WestKentYMCA.org.uk/job
YOUTH WORK www.WestKentYMCA.org.uk/V4C
Part of YMCA WEST KENT, our YMCA YOUTH WORK is supported by the National Lottery
Safeguarding is a priority here - for children, young people and adults at risk of harm.
All YMCA staff & volunteers are subject to our safer recruitment policy including confidential references, confidential disclosure of any relevant criminal offences, enhanced DBS and possibly a youth panel. Note: previous offences, cautions etc do not bar you from working with us in a paid or volunteer role, but it is essential you are open and honest about this, to demonstrate your integrity, with Rob our Chief Executive.
All references / self-disclosures / DBS details remain strictly confidential.