Support & Advice
Family Work
Health & Wellbeing
Training & Education

Homeless? at risk of becoming homeless? sofa surfing?

housing advice

Image Description

How to apply or refer someone for Supported Housing 

If you know a young person in Kent who is in housing need [street homeless, sofa surfing, at risk at home, or at risk of becoming homeless] aged 16–18, you should contact your local KCC Social Services Team (Children’s & Families) as they now make all referrals.

If they are in immediate danger or risk of serious harm please call Kent Police on 999  [If you cannot call there is a text service - text 'register' to 999 and follow instructions before you can use this service]

KCC Children's social services    County Hall, Maidstone, ME14 1XQ 
Call 03000 41 11 11       Text relay 18001 03000 41 11 11         Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
Call 03000 41 91 91       Text relay 18001 03000 41 91 91         Outside working hours & ask for duty team

For anyone aged 18 or older who is at risk of harm, or in need of support or care, contact:
KCC Adult social services & health      County Hall, Maidstone, ME14 1XQ
Call 03000 41 61 61   Text relay 18001 03000 41 61 61    Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
Call 03000 41 91 91   Text relay 18001 03000 41 91 91    Outside working hours & ask for duty team

If you know a young person in housing need who is 18 plus, who is NOT a care leaver and has a local connection to Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge, Maidstone or Sevenoaks, take them to, or advise them to go to, the local council or Gateway in the town they have a connection with.  Their staff can request an appointment with a local Housing Options Adviser or Housing needs advisor, who can make referrals to us.  Find your local Gateway here  see more about their support for those who are homeless or threatened with homelessness here

For Social Services outside Kent, or any Borough Councils wanting to refer young people aged 16-26 to YMCA Ryder House please:
Download and print this form, complete & email it to  or fax to 08712 390 677.  Making a referral implies your authority / council will make arrangements to fully fund rent & support [if not already covered by existing contracts / commissioning].  We welcome enquiries from councils wanting to set up a funding agreement to ensure speedy access to supported housing [including for short term assessment and support, respite, or for shared 2 bed flats for couples or support for young parent & child]  


YMCA West Kent Supported Housing YMCA Ryder House - click here - if age 16-24 and some connection with Kent or escaping domestic abuse, or referred in by your local authority etc

The Bridge Trust - Housing Advice Centre and housing

West Kent MIND  -   call 01732 744950 

Kenward Trust  - transforming lives, creating choice call 01622 814 187[Mon-Fri 9-5] - offering recovery, rehab, support for ex-offenders, supported housing, young people and training in Kent and East Sussex

Crossways Community |get support | Call01892 543290  | Email

PORCHLIGHT - housing services / referrals or call 0800 567 7699  or email 


Shelter - for legal advice / local surgeries rather than housing -

Centrepoint - if in London - see

Tunbridge Wells Churches Winter Shelter - |

Report someone who is street homeless or 0800 567 7699  or email 


Safeguarding is a priority here - see